Thursday, April 19, 2012

Synonyms: Mad World

Mad World by Gary Jules


A Listen to the song and fill the gaps by writing down your answer on a sheet of paper. Once you have finished, check your answers on this page.




VERSE 1
All around me are __________ faces,
Worn out places – worn out faces,
Bright and early for their __________ races,
Going nowhere – going nowhere.
Their tears are __________their glasses,
No expression – no expression
Hide my head I want to drown my __________,
No tomorrow – no tomorrow


CHORUS 1
And I find it kind of funny; I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I’m __________ 
Are the best I’ve ever __________
I find it hard to __________ you, 
I find it hard to __________
When people run in circles, it’s a very very
Mad world, mad world.

VERSE 2
Children waiting for the __________ they feel good,
Happy birthday – happy birthday.
Made to feel the way that every child __________,
Sit and listen – sit and listen.
Went to school and I was very __________,
No one knew me – no one knew me.
Hello teacher tell me what’s my __________,
Looked right through me – looked right through me.

CHORUS 2
And I find it kind of funny; I find it kind of sad.
The __________ in which I’m dying 
Are the best I’ve ever had.
I find it hard to tell you, I find it hard to take
When __________ run in __________, 
it’s a very very
Mad world, mad world.
Enlarge your world, mad world.


B Find the synonyms, or near synonyms, of the following expressions in the lyrics above and post them as a comment. Also write an example sentence for each synonym in the same comment.

1. don't be small-minded
2. exhausted        
3. pathetic     
4. forced to do something unwillingly  
5. insane, erratic    
6. acted as if I did not exist   
7. it upsets me    
8. strange

C Here's a list of links with further synonym activities for those of you who are interested in practicing them more!






No comments:

Post a Comment